Sunday, October 14, 2012

Airlie Beach and return to Sydney


60th AUS Trip Blog 14
Bob and Barnaby sing sea shanties
 
All good things must come to an end, and after a de-brief from Sailor Bob and his little dog too, Andrew and Margaret depart for the airport.  Dave, Kank and I remain for one last day in Airlie Beach. 

After the confines of the boat, the mainland seems huge and as if it is rocking. We have developed sea-legs, and are not used to being on land. Dave has rented a surprisingly upscale apartment for our last day in paradise. It is so nice, in fact, that when I reach it independently of them, I turn around without going in, sure I have the address wrong. I drag my suitcase to the Youth Hostel, thinking that this is more likely. When I finally reach Dave on the phone, he confirms that we are indeed staying at the Boathouse Inn, Harbourside. How posh.
Our posh accomodations in Airlie Beach
 
As usual, we all do our own thing. Kank is off walking, and has booked a pedicure. Dave goes off with his book to the town beach. I accompany him there, and then explore the shops. I am beginning to think of gifts for Mary and the girls.

 We get take out fish n chips and a few bottles of beer and eat in our luxury flat. A very quiet day, all told, but nice to have a bit more of Queensland before heading back south.
 


Afternoon tea in Airlie
 
 The Sunday return trip to Sydney is uneventful. No last minute dashes to the airport. I continue to be amazed that I can go through security and board a plane without once having to show ID.

 

Tomorrow, I start the final chapter of this trip – three days at Shore School. Shore is my High School, and I was on staff there in 1982. I am looking forward to being back there.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog, and I must say, it's a fantastic resource for anyone looking for humans of Sydney. As someone who frequently travels to Sydney for business, having a trustworthy chauffeur service is invaluable. Click to get a Sydney chauffeur https://sydneycitychauffeurs.com.au/.

    ReplyDelete