Thursday, October 11, 2012

Stonehaven Bay


60th AUS Trip Blog 10

 The sailors are getting the bitter end of the rope, while the cardio crew is enjoying extended land time. Radioman Dave reported in and was warned of gale winds for the next two days. We were advised to either stay put in comfy Cid Harbor, or maybe creep up the western coast a bit to Stonehaven Bay on Hook Island. We choose the latter option, but delay our departure until after morning tea.
the Skipper awaits morning tea
 
My Aussie friends are habituated to morning tea and, indeed, afternoon tea, although they rarely announce them as such. Just as I am gearing up for some kind of activity, someone shouts, “Anyone for a cuppa?” Even Kank settles in for a civilized half hour of tea (or coffee) and some biscuits or fruit. We have even done this while under sail. Secretly, I find this charming, and it is probably good for my blood pressure. Often the conversation is quite deep, such as Margaret’s query to each of us in turn – “What do your children really think of you?”  And; “What do you really think of your children?” Thankfully, what is shared on the boat stays on the boat.

 Morning tea

In Australia I always revert to drinking tea instead of coffee. As a teenager, coffee was rarely offered but tea was always served up. Plus, Aussie coffee in the 60’s was awful – o really cheap and bitter instant. Australians now do coffee really well; better, I think, than Americans. You just have to learn the 30 or so coffee options. You can have a flat white or a short black. You can probably have a flat black or a short white, but I haven’t dared to ask. There are Mochas, Cappuccinos with Soy, and then there’s something that sounds like a “Mikado”, but I’m sure I’ve got the term wrong. It is a short black with an extra dollop of espresso. I like my coffee flat white, with no sugar. And I like my tea with full cream milk.

Aussies have really got to discover half n half. Enough with the coffee options – get a few more milk options. They have skim or full cream milk. How boring. What about 2% or 1%? Or, no fat, flavored creamers? Get with it, Australia, a whole world of milk options awaits!

 With tea time over, we hoist or sails and have a short yet brisk sail downwind to Stonehaven Bay on Hook Island. We drop anchor in the early afternoon and explore the harbor. It turns out to be really good snorkeling. There’s a plethora of coral shapes, some of which make you laugh out loud. I think I spot a lobster hiding in a hole, but I am afraid to investigate. I try to chase a parrot fish and watch him take sharp turns and shortcuts under the coral to shake me off his trail. But I am as fast as he is. Eventually he dives under a mushroom coral and does not reappear. He wins.

 Time to snorkel

That night it is my turn to cook. I have bought snags – Aussie sausages. Actually, HEAPS of snags. Four dozen of them for five people, one of whom is vegetarian. We decided to only cook half the snags. Tonight I choose the traditional lamb and also beef. Kank has one snag, the “boys” polish off the rest.  Heavy duty snorkeling will do that to you.

Coral samples
 
Below: A coral "bommie"

No comments:

Post a Comment