Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Final Blog - Shore School


My old friend and sometimes teaching colleague, John Meakins, picks me up at 7:30 AM for the trip to Shore. John and I exchanged jobs in 1982. He and his wife Wendy (and baby) came to US in Cleveland, while Mary and I came to Sydney and Shore. We have kept up all these years; indeed we have seen each other as recently as August, when John and Wendy joined me on Kiawah to participate in the PGA Tournament.

 Peter and John inspect Graythwaite House at Shore

As Shore has been on Spring Break for the past two weeks, my schedule is a bit sketchy. John has some rough plans that I will teach a few History classes. He says the Chaplain is interested in having me speak in Chapel, and I have been told that I will have morning tea with the Headmaster.  I am confident that everything will fall together. Good schools are opportunistic.

 Morning tea with Phil Wood and Jack Girard

The one definitive event on the itinerary is that I am to meet the first recipient of the “Peter F. Conway Scholarship”. He is an 11 year old boy with the delightful name of James Trevelyan-Jones.  James and his parents will have morning tea with me and representatives of the school. I imagine that he will be terrified to be on display  before  a bunch of strange adults.  I would have been at his age.

 The  Trevelyan-Jones family

For my part, I am a bit self-conscious about my name being on the scholarship, but that is how Shore does things. Most of its scholarships are named after the donor or honoree. However, I am thrilled to have established it. It is a scholarship which fills a niche dear to my heart. It is for sons of full-time Christian workers who are not clergy (Shore has other scholarships for clergy). An example of the kind of family I am hoping to reach is sons of missionaries who could never afford a private school. In the case of young James, his father Warren is the choir director of one of Sydney’s oldest churches – St. James. It has three choirs connected to it, one of which is professional.  Prior to starting his job at St. James, Warren was on the full-time staff of Westminster Abbey. His wife Sarah is a music teacher as well.

James and his family arrive at the appointed hour. He is dressed in his school uniform – Turramurra Primary School, where he is in grade six. He sips nervously at a glass of water while tea is poured for the adults. It is all stiff and formal.  We adults make small talk while James stares nervously at his hands. At the prompting of his mum, he looks up and makes a well-rehearsed thank you speech for providing the scholarship.  Giving it one last shot, I ask him if he likes sports. WELL – he lights up at this and proceeds to talk about ALL of the sports he plays. Cricket, soccer, basketball, athletics, cross country, he does them all (and quite well too, says his dad). He wants to know if he can play them all at Shore, and add rowing and rugby as well.

 His dad interjects that James has a lovely voice and might audition for the choir. James gives him a withering glance. I relax. He will do just fine at Shore, and who knows, he might yet decide to join the choir or play his trombone in the orchestra. Once the ice is broken, James proves to be a lively and self-confident young man.

 PFC & J TJ

A classmate of mine asked me why I felt so strongly about Shore. Why would I establish a scholarship?  After all, I have been in Australia a small portion of my total life, and not much at all as an adult. Ah, but the portion of my life spent in Sydney were formative years indeed! My Australian visits as an adult have always involved being on campus at Shore.

Why the scholarship? Simply put, I came of age while a Shore boy. I arrived at Shore as an awkward 13 year old, but left at age 18 with a purpose, a faith, leadership skills and an excellent preparation for college. It was at Shore where I was inspired to examine my nascent faith and make it my own. It was at Shore where I decided that I wanted to be a school teacher and a coach. Finally, it was at Shore where I made of number of intimate friends who remain so despite half a world’s separation.

Would I have made the same life choices if we had remained in the States? God only knows. But the point is this - Shore was the crucible for much of what has become the best of me. I want to give back by giving boys of the future the chance to encounter the same challenges and opportunities which confronted me.

Notwithstanding, I would never have considered establishing a scholarship at Shore if it had not grown into a much better school than it was in the 60’s. As wonderful as the outcome was for me, there were things I detested about the Shore of my era. There was hazing, student to student. As a foreigner I experienced it, and I witnessed many other examples of schoolboy cruelty to anyone who was different. There were sadistic teachers who had no business having a free hand, often with a cane, in the classroom. There were incompetent teachers who not only had no business being in the classroom, but who were sadistically tormented by us pupils. In turn, the Shore staff contained some of the finest teachers I have ever encountered at any level – iterations of Mr. Chips – whose examples I tried to emulate when I became a schoolmaster.

In essence, from the Head down, Shore practiced a “school of hard knocks” philosophy which sometimes tolerated cruelty in the name of muscular Christianity.  Shore teachers, coaches and prefects often resorted to berating and bullying in the belief that breaking a boy down is the best way to build up a man. Once I embarked on a teaching career of my own, I rejected that view. Oh yes, like the Marine Corps, it can work – for some. But the price is steep. Far too many of my Shore classmates have wanted nothing to do with the school since the day they escaped the confines of its halls. “Muscular Christians” would do well, in my experience, to apply more of the golden rule and less of the rod of correction.  

Shore has long since abandoned the cane and most of the other behaviors that it symbolizes. The ideals of service, brotherhood and teamwork now have the upper hand. The teachers actually seem to enjoy teaching the young, foolish and impressionable, and respond with patience more than petulance. If young James Trevelyn-Jones chooses to abandon cricket to concentrate on the trombone, he will be respected by all. But somehow I doubt he will.
At the Shore playing fields, Northbridge

No comments:

Post a Comment